University of Yangon was one of the most prestigious universities in the region due to its grand structure and high educational standard. With this legacy in mind, the objective is to implement major renovation and to upgrade its educational quality to reach international standard.
Plans to be implemented in the Process
The plans for major renovation and structural development are as follows:-
- to make major renovation, maintaining the original forms and image and taking into account the durability of these buildings
- to construct more buildings according to administrative, academic, social and research needs of the university
- to uplift the image of the university campus with appropriate landscaping
- to improve water and electricity supply, sewage treatment and ICT facilities
The Plans for upgrading of educational quality are as follows:-
- Capacity upgrading of teaching staff: training of trainers
- Curriculum development in response to current national needs and reforms and in line with regional and global trends
- Development and upgrading of learning-teaching technologies including ICT
- Development of modern (electronic) library
- Laboratory development including facilities
- Promotion of research culture in the university: provision of facilities and training for applied research and thesis work
- Provision of learning-teaching aids and ICT facilities: training of appropriate staff for their effective use
- Continuing education: promotion of adult learning principle and practice for pursuit of higher studies and independent life-long learning
- Closer collaboration and networking with regional and global academic institutions and appropriate INGOs
- Collaboration with organizations, governmental departments, training schools, and industries
- Development of qualified, competent and motivated human resource in response to national needs – both social and professional and relevant to regional and global changes and trends
- Development of academic and social environment conducive to professional and total development of graduates
Activities of the Committee
The Committee on Renovation and Upgrading the University of Yangon formed the four sub-committees. They are
(1) the Sub-Committee for Fund Raising,
(2) the Sub-Committee for Management and Allocation of Fund,
(3) the Sub-Committee for Renovation and
(4) the Sub-Committee for Promotion of Educational Quality.
These sub-Committees continuously discuss the follow-up activities under their objectives concerned through meetings.
Visit to UK
One of the activities of the Committee is sending a study tour for education reform and upgrading the University of Yangon. The delegation comprises Dr. Myo Myint, Deputy Education Minister , MPs Dr. Mya Oo, Director Dr. Aung Myat Kyaw from the Science and Technology Ministry from May 1-3, 2013.
The University is now upgrading with government budget both in terms of hard ware and soft ware. The Committee has also held meeting with delegations from AUSAID in assisting for infrastructure development.